CRAVEN COUNTY - A veteran spent 21 hours in his truck over the weekend, before being discovered by a neighbor.
Irvin "Jack" Bennett Jr., 71, had a heart issue, a neighbor said.
He was discovered outside his home in the Brice's Creek area of Craven County, outside New Bern.
As Bennett's condition is addressed, neighbors are working to solve the Air Force vet's other problem: His legs are disabled to the point where he lives in the truck because he cannot climb the three steps to his home.
"He's just not mobile," a neighbor, James Mead said.
Bennett has been living in his truck, outside his home, for approximately one year, Mead said.
He and another neighbor are willing to build a ramp to Bennett's home if they had the materials.
Bennett remains in the hospital, where he is "in and out," another neighbor, Jim Mangol, said.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms