CARTERET COUNTY- - Vandals have destroyed the signs in a community about 10 miles west of Morehead City, near Broad Creek.
The stop, street, and entrance signs in the Croatan Colony neighborhood were destroyed by a car around 5 a.m. Saturday.
Croatan Colony Resident Becky Lee said she "heard a big noise. Sounded almost like a gunshot and we got up to see if we could see anything out of the window and all we could see was a car speeding out of the neighborhood."
It's not the first time the signs have been taken out. Residents estimate they've been vandalized at least 3 times in the past 9 years.
That makes resident Beverly Tanner wonder "what kind of people are coming into the neighborhood in the middle of the night and what could happen next. They might not even try and tear up the street signs, what if they try to come tear up the house or something and my children are here."
The Department of Transportation replaced the stop and street signs in the community.
The Croatan Colony Homeowners Association said on their Facebook page an award is being offered. Anyone with information should contact the Carteret County Sheriff's Department.
Police say the incident is still under investigation.
- Updated Kerry in leaked audio: "I lost the argument" for use of force in Syria
- Updated Hurricane Matthew roars toward Jamaica as Category 5
- Bees placed on endangered species list -- a first in the US
- Trump on Clinton: 'I can be nastier than she ever can be'
- Illinois to yank billions from Wells Fargo amid scandal