CRAVEN COUNTY - One man is dead and another is left injured after a shooting near Vanceboro Tuesday night.
The men were shot at 108 Maul Swamp Road, Cpt. Joe Heckman, of the Craven County Sheriff's Department, said.
The call came shortly before 6 p.m.
After being shot in the torso, Angelo Whitehurst walked to a home on Dawson Lane, about a quarter-mile away from the Maul Swamp Road home. Emergency crews responded there and airlifted the man to Pitt County Memorial Hospital. There has been no word yet on his condition.
Arvey Bartlett Jr., a 19-year-old former West Craven High student, was found dead at the Maul Swamp Road home.
The two could have shot each other, or another person might have shot the men; Heckman said those details were unclear.
Neither of the men live at the Maul Swamp home; it's unclear why they were there, Heckman said.
A gun, which Heckman declined to describe, was found at the scene.
Investigators took one of the victim's cars from the home; Heckman believed there were bullet holes on the car.
There is no word on motive.
- Former Windsor police officer convicted for role in narcotics ring
- Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- 9-year-old girl dies following head on car collision
- Woman sent to the hospital following car crash with log truck
- Updated Police name Manchester bomber as 22-year-old Salman Abedi