GREENE COUNTY - A motorcyclist was killed and a Greene County deputy was injured in a Saturday highway crash, according to the trooper investigating the wreck.
The wreck began when a van ran a stop sign at the intersection of Burrell Field Rd. and Highway 13 S. in Greene County, the trooper said.
The van, driven by 79-year-old James Henry Baker Jr. of Snow Hill, ran into a Greene County Sheriff's Office patrol car, the trooper said.
Deputy Brad Conwell was driving the patrol car; he was treated and released from a hospital.
Either the van or the patrol car, it's unclear which, was sent into two motorcycles that were going south on the highway.
In all, five people involved were taken to hospitals.
One motorcyclist, 59-year-old Everette Clayton Best of Florida, died at the hospital.
Charges are pending; the trooper will discuss charges with the district attorney's office this week.
Alcohol was not involved and weather was not a factor, the trooper said.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend