BAYBORO, PAMLICO COUNTY - We spoke with the District Attorney about charges a Pamlico County father is facing.
Samuel Potter, 24, is charged in the death of his child on December 29, 2013.
District Attorney Scott Thomas and Pamlico County Sheriff Chris Davis said a they have handed out an indictment for the murder of the 8-month-old infant. The indictments come 13 months after the child's death. Investigators say they had to wait for autopsy and toxicology reports to come back, and then follow up with interviews.
Potter is charged with one count of murder and one count of felony child abuse.
Investigators said the child was willfully overdosed with diphenhydramine. Medical experts say that is a generic form of Benadryl. Thomas says the medication the father gave the child is meant for children ages 4 and older.
Officials said Potter is facing separate charges including assaulting a bail bondsman with a machete. He was charged with attempted murder. That case is pending.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend