A University of North Carolina professor is complaining his conviction on drug smuggling charges in Argentina is an injustice.
Sixty-eight-year-old UNC-Chapel Hill physics professor Paul Frampton tells The News & Observer of Raleigh he unknowingly carried 4 pounds of cocaine hidden in a suitcase from Bolivia while on a quest to meet a famous bikini model.
The Oxford-educated professor was sentenced to four years and eight months of confinement this week. He expects to serve the time under house arrest at a friend's apartment in Buenos Aires.
Frampton also is fighting a decision by university officials to stop paying his $107,000 salary for failing to fulfill teaching and other duties. Frampton says he's now worried the university will fire him.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Updated Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew