CHAPEL HILL, ORANGE COUNTY - Art Weiner, who teamed with Charlie Justice at the University of North Carolina to make a potent offensive duo, has died. He was 87.
UNC spokesman Rick Brewer said Thursday that Weiner died on Christmas night at Moses Cone Memorial Hospital in Greensboro. No cause of death was given.
Weiner and Justice led the Tar Heels to 32 victories and three bowl games between 1946 and 1949.
Weiner, born in Newark, N.J., caught 106 passes, including 52 in 1949 to lead the nation, and 18 career touchdowns.
He was a three-time all-Southern Conference choice, and a member of both the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame.
Among the survivors is his wife of 65 years, Boots, and three children.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County