PITT, BEAUFORT COUNTIES - National Weather Service survey teams have confirmed two tornadoes. The first and EF-2 in Pitt County. The second an EF-3 in Beaufort County.
The EF -2 tornado in Pitt County initially touched down in Chicod as an EF-0. The tornado left a damage path a mile long and 75 yards wide. The tornado did produce some damage, but no injuries or fatalities.
The EF-3 tornado in Beaufort County started near Chocowinity as an EF-0. It then strengthened into an EF-3 near Whichards Beach Road. This was the strongest the tornado was of its 21 mile path. The twister downgraded to an EF-0 before dissipating near the Terra Ceia area.
The National Weather Service also reports 200 structures damaged with many completely destroyed. There were at least 16 injuries but no deaths.
This is the first EF-3 tornado in the nation and ends the streak of no EF-3's nationwide in more than 150 days.
Survey crews will search damage again Sunday to possibly confirm more touchdowns of additional tornadoes.
- New Campaign manager points to 'undercover Trump vote' in polling gap
- Updated Maternal deaths down globally, up in US
- Updated Flight delayed over bizarre crew member tiff
- Updated Family Dollar store robbed at gunpoint, suspect on the loose
- Updated Closest potentially habitable planet to our solar system found