ASHEVILLE, N.C. - A judge has told two members of the Asheville Tourists baseball team that they could face life in prison without parole after being charged in the rape of a woman in their apartment.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports 23-year-old relief pitchers Michael Mason and Jesse Meaux made their first appearances Friday in Buncombe County District Court. The two are charged by police with two counts of first-degree rape and two counts of first-degree sex offense.
Meaux posted $100,000 bond and was released from the Buncombe County jail Friday. Mason remains in jail and appeared in court by a video link. Both players have been suspended.
Arrest reports released by police say the incident occurred last Saturday.
The Colorado Rockies, Asheville's parent club, said both teams are working with authorities.
- Updated China: Japanese military jets using 'dangerous' tactics
- Pipeline protesters forced back after 141 arrested
- WikiLeaks reveals campaign vexed by 'Bill Clinton Inc.'
- The Cubs and Indians get ready to battle it out in Game 3 of The World Series
- Early voting update: More than 12.6 million votes cast