WHITEVILLE - Authorities say two men are dead after they shot one another during an argument in Columbus County.
A statement from the sheriff's office said deputies responded to a report of a shooting east of Tabor City Thursday morning. When the deputies arrived, they found James Bernard Soles with a gunshot wound to the chest.
The sheriff's office said Soles told deputies that he had been shot by his stepson, 16-year-old Gregory Javon McKinnies, who himself was shot multiple times by Soles.
Deputies found that McKinnies was taken to a hospital in Loris, S.C., where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Soles was also taken to the Loris hospital, where he died.
An autopsy was scheduled for Thursday in Raleigh.
- New Greenville woman suing Anheuser-Busch for unauthorized use of her photo
- Updated US troops wounded on the front lines in Mosul
- Updated Autism link to herpes during pregnancy may be overstated, experts say
- New Silver Alert issued for missing Beaufort County man
- New North Carolina lawmaker introduces 'life at conception' bill