WHITEVILLE - Authorities say two men are dead after they shot one another during an argument in Columbus County.
A statement from the sheriff's office said deputies responded to a report of a shooting east of Tabor City Thursday morning. When the deputies arrived, they found James Bernard Soles with a gunshot wound to the chest.
The sheriff's office said Soles told deputies that he had been shot by his stepson, 16-year-old Gregory Javon McKinnies, who himself was shot multiple times by Soles.
Deputies found that McKinnies was taken to a hospital in Loris, S.C., where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Soles was also taken to the Loris hospital, where he died.
An autopsy was scheduled for Thursday in Raleigh.
- Updated NBA rookies say Kinston's Ingram will have best career
- Updated Trump lifts ban on media outlets, at least for pool duty
- New Silver alert issued for missing Washington woman
- Updated NJ Gov. Christie vetoes $15 minimum wage
- Updated Cadillac exec spills company strategy ... in the comments section of a blog