Officials: Lit cigarette causes fire at Carteret County home
Investigators said a cigarette caused a fire that destroyed Carteret County home early Tuesday.
The fire happened at a single-wide mobile home on East Southwinds Drive in Newport, according to Lt. Josh Harrell with the Wildwood Fire and Rescue Department. It was reported at about 1:25 a.m. Tuesday.
Fire officials said the resident was on home oxygen. But someone lit a cigarette, causing the blaze. By the time fire crews arrived, about 75 percent of the home was burning, investigators said.
"This can be a lesson to everyone," said Wildwood Fire Department Chief Art Buchanan. "I don't want this to happen to anyone again."
Buchanan said when a person is on home oxygen, they should avoid any open flames such as lighting cigarettes or candles. Oxygen combined with fire makes flames spread quicker.
No injuries were reported. According to fire officials, the family had two dogs that were found after the fire broke out, however, the family is still missing their two.
Copyright 2013 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.