ATLANTIC OCEAN - What could be the first hurricane of the 2013 Atlantic Hurricane season has formed.
The eighth named storm of the season has formed in the far eastern Atlantic Ocean. Tropical Storm Humberto was upgraded at about 5 a.m. Monday. It is currently located almost 4,000 miles to the east of North Carolina's shoreline and is not expected to threaten any part of the United States.
Humberto may become the first hurricane of the season. It is expected to be a "fish storm" that will remain closer to Africa, with no immediate threat to the United States.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn