SMYRNA, CARTERET COUNTY - A woman was killed and a man was seriously injured in a two-vehicle wreck in Carteret County, according to the Highway Patrol.
Mary Matlock, 51, was driving on Highway 70 in Smyrna on Monday, when she ran off the road, trooper said. Matlock then over-corrected and hit another vehicle traveling the opposite direction, according to investigators.
Matlock was pinned in her car and died at the scene of the crash, troopers said. Meanwhile, the driver of the other vehicle, 52-year-old Eric Pittman, was flown to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville with serious injures.
Troopers said speed was a factor in the deadly wreck. The investigation is ongoing.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday