SMYRNA, CARTERET COUNTY - A woman was killed and a man was seriously injured in a two-vehicle wreck in Carteret County, according to the Highway Patrol.
Mary Matlock, 51, was driving on Highway 70 in Smyrna on Monday, when she ran off the road, trooper said. Matlock then over-corrected and hit another vehicle traveling the opposite direction, according to investigators.
Matlock was pinned in her car and died at the scene of the crash, troopers said. Meanwhile, the driver of the other vehicle, 52-year-old Eric Pittman, was flown to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville with serious injures.
Troopers said speed was a factor in the deadly wreck. The investigation is ongoing.
- Updated World's largest pearl sits under a bed for 10 years
- Updated Carteret County Health Department Clinical Services closing for mandatory training
- Updated Amatrice: The town at the epicenter of the Italian earthquake
- Army general to testify in Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl pretrial hearing
- Search continues for naked vandals