PITT COUNTY - A Beaufort County teenager is in custody after he ran from the scene of a fatal accident and made a multi-county escape attempt, authorities said.
The teen was found hiding in a forest.
Stephen Tyler Thorp, 18, was the driver in an early-morning crash that killed a passenger, 23-year-old Marquise Brewer, troopers said.
Matthew Tharp, 25, was also in the Chevrolet pick-up truck when it crashed; he was treated and released from a hospital, troopers said.
The crash happened on West Barr Road, near Chocowinity, shortly after 4 a.m. Saturday, troopers said.
Investigators believe alcohol was involved in the crash.
Thorp ran from the scene, and got a ride to a friend's home on Grover Smith Road, off Highway 43 between Vanceboro and Greenville, troopers said.
It was unclear who gave Thorp the ride.
Thorp would later run from the friend's home into the woods, troopers said.
Authorities used a helicopter and search dogs to try to locate the teenager.
A searcher in the helicopter spotted Thorp in the woods by Grover Smith Road and authorities took him into custody Saturday afternoon at 5:30 p.m.
He's facing charges including felony hit and run; more charges are expected.
Thorp is being held by the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office under $100,000 bond.
- Updated One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating