ONSLOW COUNTY - Troopers said they are looking for a driver who hit and seriously injured a Navy hospital corpsman, then drove away from the scene.
As of Wednesday morning, no arrests had been made in the case, the Highway Patrol said.
Investigators said 22-year-old Andrew Collins was riding his motorcycle on U.S. 17, south of Holly Ridge near the Pender County line Tuesday morning. Collins was heading north toward Jacksonville when a white work truck pulled out in front of him at about 6:45 a.m., troopers said.
Collins was airlifted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center with serious injuries, according to EMS officials.
Collins is in the Navy with the MSOS Medical Battalion at MARSOC, troopers said. It appeared he was on his way to work when the crash happened.
Witnesses described the suspect's truck as a typical work vehicle with utility panels in the back, troopers said. There may be damage near the left rear tire. Some witnesses told investigators there was a moped in the back of the truck.
Troopers did not release a description of the suspect.
Anyone with information about this crash is asked to call 1-800-334-7411.
- New Campaign manager points to 'undercover Trump vote' in polling gap
- Updated Maternal deaths down globally, up in US
- Updated Flight delayed over bizarre crew member tiff
- Updated Family Dollar store robbed at gunpoint, suspect on the loose
- Updated Closest potentially habitable planet to our solar system found