POLLOCKSVILLE, JONES COUNTY - A New River Marine has been charged for crashing head-on into an 18-wheeler in Jones County, according to the Highway Patrol.
Brandon Shrader , 19, has been charged with driving left of center. Troopers said Shrader was driving on Highway 17, between Maysville and Pollocksville, when his Jeep crossed the center line and hit the tractor-trailer head-on. The accident happened in front of Blue Rocks Structures, Inc. at about 5:30 p.m. Monday.
The crash caused the rear wheels of the tractor-trailer to roll over the Jeep, critically injuring Shrader, Sheriff Danny Heath told NewsChannel 12. Shrader was airlifted to Vidant Medical Center, where he had surgery Monday night. As of Tuesday evening, he remained in the ICU, but was alert and conscious, troopers said.
The driver of the tractor-trailer has been identified as 45-year-old Maurice Greene. He was taken to Carolina Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries, according to investigators.
Both lanes of Highway 17 in front of Blue Rock were closed for several hours after the wreck, but have since reopened.
- Officials: No threat following claims of man with a gun inside Walmart
- Officials investigating after two bodies found inside home that caught fire
- Five suspects in Lenoir County home invasion now in custody
- Down East Wood Ducks announce roster for start of season
- Updated NC State star Dennis Smith declares for draft