BEAUFORT, CARTERET COUNTY - A man ejected from his Jeep in a Carteret County wreck has passed away, investigators said.
Austin Sherron, 25, of Newport, died Tuesday at about 10:20 p.m., according to the Highway Patrol. He suffered severe injuries to his head, chest and several broken bones from the wreck, which happened just before midnight on Aug. 8.
Troopers said Sherron was driving his 2004 Jeep west on Highway 70, near Tiffany Woods in Beaufort, when he ran off the road to the left, hit a ditch, flipped several times, and hit a utility pole. Sherron was then ejected from the vehicle, investigators said.
"We were hoping and praying that he would come through from his brain injury," said neighbor Buddy Fontana.
Neighbors said Sherron lived with his aunt and uncle on Sea Gate Drive near Beaufort. But the family declined to comment.
According to troopers, speed was a factor and alcohol is suspected.
No other vehicle was involved and no one else was injured, investigators said.
- Police say erratic driving leads to arrest, stolen vehicle recovered
- Yokohama Tire Corporation Selects North Carolina for Technical Development Center, Creating 56 Jobs
- McCain, Rubio, Wasserman Schultz face Tuesday primary tests
- Parmalee announces their return to Greenville
- Ocracoke ferry shuttle closed