BERTIE COUNTY - Investigators have released the name of a woman found dead on a highway in Bertie County.
According to the Highway Patrol, 29-year-old Victoria Little Burns, of Williamston, was lying in the middle of Highway 13/17 about 8.75 miles south of Windsor, near the Bertie-Martin County line. She was then hit by a vehicle.
Burns' body was found at about 3 a.m. Sunday.
Troopers said they do not know why Burns was lying in the middle of the road. They said it's unclear whether she died before being hit by the vehicle or after, and investigators are still working to determine her cause of death.
"I feel like it was foul play," said Burns' aunt, Rosa Shepherd. "Somebody knows something somewhere, and we are looking to find out."
Burns' sister, Nicole Perkins, said she is overwhelmed.
"I don't know why nobody would do that to my sister,"said Perkins.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the North Carolina Highway Patrol.
In addition to her aunt and sister, Burns is survived by her husband, mother, and other family members.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Trump spreads claim that Clinton's 'mentor' was 'KKK member'
- Updated ISIS video shows boys executing prisoners
- Nate Parker on 'toxic masculinity,' consent and 'male privilege'