DUPLIN COUNTY - Investigators have identified the man killed in a two-vehicle wreck in Duplin County Thursday morning. In addition, two people are seriously injured.
According to the Highway Patrol, 50-year-old Stephen Chesnutt, of Warsaw, was driving his Lincoln car on Highway 50, between Cool Springs Road and the south Kenansville bypass, at about 11 a.m. Thursday. That was when he rounded a curve, crossed the center line, and hit a red pickup truck, troopers said. The impact was so strong that the bed of the pickup truck came off completely.
Chesnutt died from his injuries, investigators told NewsChannel 12.
Troopers have also identified the couple and their infant child inside the pickup truck: 21-year-old Jonathan Mahoney, of Wallace, Dominque Robinson, and 6-week-old Brantly Mahoney.
Jonathan and Dominque are both listed in serious condition at a hospital, said investigators. But their baby appeared to be okay, troopers told NewsChannel 12.
Troopers said they are investigating what caused Chesnutt to cross the center line.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend