ALBERTSON, DUPLIN COUNTY - A Duplin County man was killed in a single-vehicle car crash Friday evening, according to troopers.
Troopers said Jose Louis Herrera, 34 of Albertson, was driving in his pickup truck on North Carolina Highway 111, about 18 miles north of Kenansville around 7:45 p.m.
About .6 miles north of State Road 1533, troopers said Herrera ran off the right side of the road and hit a ditch. His truck overturned, causing Herrera to be ejected from the vehicle. He came to rest underneath his truck, according to troopers.
Herrera wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and careless and reckless driving were factors in the crash, troopers said.
Troopers don't know if alcohol was involved at this time.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County