WALLACE, DUPLIN COUNTY - Two people were killed in a fiery wreck in Duplin County Monday morning, according to the Highway Patrol.
The wreck happened on Lightwood Bridge Road, near Wallace, at about 3 a.m. Monday, said Sgt. W.L. Thurston. The car ran off the left side of the road, hit a culvert, then overturned and caught fire. Both people inside the vehicle died at the scene, Sgt. Thurston said.
The victims were so badly burned that authorities could not identify them without an autopsy, according to Sgt. Thurston. Speed was not believed to be a factor, but troopers were not sure if alcohol played a role.
- Updated World's largest pearl sits under a bed for 10 years
- Updated Carteret County Health Department Clinical Services closing for mandatory training
- Updated Amatrice: The town at the epicenter of the Italian earthquake
- Army general to testify in Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl pretrial hearing
- Search continues for naked vandals