ONSLOW COUNTY - A patch of ice contributed to a wreck that seriously injured a 7-year-old girl in Onslow County Friday.
According to the Highway Patrol, 42-year-old Fidel Juarez Martinez was driving east on Potters Hill Road, near A.I. Taylor Road northwest of Richlands, at about 1:20 p.m. Friday. Martinez's wife and two children -ages 5 and 7- were in the vehicle as well.
Troopers said Martinez was driving below the speed limit, but probably still too fast for the conditions, when his vehicle hit a patch of ice. Martinez then lost control of his car, which went off the road and hit a concrete culvert.
Martinez's 7-year-old daughter was in the back seat and was seriously injured , said troopers. The girl was airlifted to Vidant Medical Center, but her condition was unknown.
Martinez himself and his 5-year-old son were not hurt in the crash, investigators said. Meanwhile, Martinez's wife suffered minor injuries.
The accident is under investigation. No charges have been filed.
- Police say erratic driving leads to arrest, stolen vehicle recovered
- Yokohama Tire Corporation Selects North Carolina for Technical Development Center, Creating 56 Jobs
- McCain, Rubio, Wasserman Schultz face Tuesday primary tests
- Parmalee announces their return to Greenville
- Ocracoke ferry shuttle closed