POWELLSVILLE, BERTIE COUNTY - A vehicle ran off a Bertie County road and burst into flames, killing two people, according to the Highway Patrol.
Rubiart Vinson, 62, was driving on Highway 13, about two-tenths of a mile south of Powellsville, when he went off the road to the left, crashed into a ditch, hit a utility pole, then hit a tree, said Trooper J.V. Reid. The vehicle caught fire as a result. The accident happened at about 10:35 a.m. Thursday.
Vinson was killed, along with 41-year-old Michelle Knight, who was sitting in the back seat, said Trooper Reid . Another passenger, 46-year-old Curtis Cofield, was taken to a hospital. All the victims are from Ahoskie, Trooper Reid said.
The two people killed were not believed to be wearing seatbelts, according to Trooper Reid. He said he is investigating how the accident happened, but speed and alcohol do not appear to be factors.
No other vehicle was involved in the wreck, said Trooper Reid.
- Updated Clinton blasts Trump attacks on foundation
- New waterfront park and boat access is symbol of recovery, dedication planned Saturday
- Zip line fall leaves Delaware woman dead
- Crews battle fire in unoccupied Greenville apartment
- Updated Clinton: Trump leading 'hate movement'; Trump: Clinton a 'bigot'