WASHINGTON - Two vehicles hit a woman as she was walking along a highway, killing her, the Highway Patrol said.
Shakevia Jonna Lawson, 22, of Grimesland, was walking in the westbound lane of Highway 264 in Washington Tuesday evening, the investigating trooper said. Lawson was then hit by a truck and an SUV, at the intersection of Highway 264 and Smaw Road at around 5:28 p.m.
Lawson died from her injuries, the trooper said.
Troopers said Lawson had left Vidant Beaufort Hospital in Washington before she was hit by the cars. However, it is unclear why she was at the hospital.
Charges were not expected to be filed against the drivers.
Highway 264 at Smaw Road was shut down for about an hour after the accident, the trooper said.
- Updated Doctor: I wrote Trump's bill of health in 5 minutes
- Updated Trent Woods road closing for repairs starting Sept. 6
- Updated Man arrested in Greenville on drug possession charges
- Updated Badges save officers struck by bullets
- New Bern Shrine Club holding donation drive for Louisiana flood victims