WASHINGTON - Two vehicles hit a woman as she was walking along a highway, killing her, the Highway Patrol said.
Shakevia Jonna Lawson, 22, of Grimesland, was walking in the westbound lane of Highway 264 in Washington Tuesday evening, the investigating trooper said. Lawson was then hit by a truck and an SUV, at the intersection of Highway 264 and Smaw Road at around 5:28 p.m.
Lawson died from her injuries, the trooper said.
Troopers said Lawson had left Vidant Beaufort Hospital in Washington before she was hit by the cars. However, it is unclear why she was at the hospital.
Charges were not expected to be filed against the drivers.
Highway 264 at Smaw Road was shut down for about an hour after the accident, the trooper said.
- Updated Kinston teen receives national award
- Updated Kinston Zumba instructor wins award, gets studio makeover
- Updated Democrats: WH contact with FBI an 'outrageous breach'
- Vidant Beaufort Hospital sets visiting restrictions for children
- Mexican-born NASCAR driver Daniel Suarez in the Daytona 500 spotlight