LENOIR COUNTY - Highway Patrol Trooper, Bud Radford, said two women were airlifted to Vidant in Greenville after a three-car wreck on N.C. 11/55 at Tyree Road near Kinston Friday afternoon.
Trooper Radford said a blue car ran into the back of a truck and a limousine that were stopped at a red light.
He said five people were taken to surrounding hospitals.
Trooper Radford said the two women in the blue car were airlifted to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville. He said the driver is 49-year-old Ardelia Caldwell, and the passenger is 88-year-old Nancy Washing. They both have a Kinston address.
He said he does not know why Caldwell did not stop the car. He also said medical personnel believe she may have had a medical condition.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Coast Guard searches for missing crew of capsized Swan Quarter fishing boat
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn