DOVER - Hundreds of customers lost power Saturday night when a teenager, who was
driving too fast for the snowy conditions, hydroplaned off a roadway and
crashed into a utility pole, according to the Highway Patrol.
Dred Mitchell, of Cove City, was driving north on Dover Fort Barnwell Road in Dover
shortly before 7:45 p.m., the investigating trooper said. Mitchell's Chevrolet truck then ran off the road to the left and hit the power pole.
The crash was enough to cut the power to more than 230 Progress Energy
customers in the area.
Mitchell, 18, was charged with exceeding safe speed for conditions and going left of center. He was not hurt.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County