JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - Highway Patrol says a seat belt saved a Duplin County man's life when he fell asleep at the wheel, crashed into a tree and overturned his car.
The crash was reported at 6:35am Monday by a driver who was following 29-year-old Brenden Carter of Beulaville.
Carter was driving on his Pontiac Coup on Gum Branch Road toward Drummer Kellum Road in Jacksonville.
Highway Patrol says he fell asleep at the wheel, ran off the right side of the road on a left hand curve. He then struck a tree at 30 miles per hour and overturned his vehicle.
The person who called 911 got out to help Carter who suffered an ankle injury. Carter was not transported by ambulance.
Highway Patrol says Carter's seat belt saved his life.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Updated Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew