Dare County - The state Highway Patrol says a Transportation Department employee died on N.C. 12 when his dump truck rear-ended one that had broken down on the highway.
Trooper William Harrison says a dump truck driven by 36-year-old Michael Brad Stevenson hit one sitting in the road that was driven by 45-year-old Ronnie Allen Anderson. Stevenson's truck caught fire, and he was killed.
Anderson was injured and taken to a hospital in Norfolk, Va.
The men were removing sand from the highway, which was damaged by Hurricane Sandy last month and a more recent nor'easter.
The highway had just reopened Saturday to 4-wheel-drive vehicles. It was closed for several hours Sunday before DOT reopened it.
It's now only open during daylight hours and still limited to those vehicles.
- New Was New Bern first in America to celebrate George Washington's birthday?
- Updated New Bern stab victim says he was accused of stealing drugs
- Updated Reports: Dolphins acquire TE Thomas from Jaguars
- Updated Trade of Cousins to Pelicans becomes official
- Updated Small plane crashes near Melbourne's Essendon airport