JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - A pair of crashes backed up traffic along Richlands Highway Monday evening. One crash involved a highway patrol trooper.
There was a three-vehicle collision near the intersection of Highway 258 and Blue Creek Road just after 5:30 p.m.
Officials said a woman pulled into traffic on Highway 258 and her vehicle was rear ended. Her vehicle was then pushed into oncoming traffic, where she collided with a third vehicle. She was cited for failing to yield to traffic.
Trooper Alvarado was responding to that wreck when he pulled into the center turning lane near Country Squire Lane, at about 6 p.m.
He crashed into another vehicle that was making a left hand turn in front of him.
The trooper was not injured and the other driver had only minor injuries. That driver also received a citation.
There were some injuries in the three-vehicle crash. Five people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
Traffic was cleared by 7 p.m.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend