ONSLOW COUNTY - An Onslow County Sheriff's deputy who was momentarily distracted by an in-vehicle computer message crashed his patrol car early Sunday morning, according to the investigating trooper.
The deputy, 25-year-old Zaire Duckett, was driving on Highway 24 near the intersection with Hubert Boulevard just before 7 a.m., the trooper said.
After the distraction, Duckett lost control of the patrol vehicle and crashed into a fence and a delivery truck, the trooper said.
No one was in the truck.
Duckett suffered a minor scratch from broken glass.
The trooper will not charge Duckett, which is customary in such cases.
Instead, Duckett could face disciplinary actions from the Onslow County Sheriff's Office.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Updated Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew