NEWPORT - A car crashed through a flea mall in Carteret County injuring two people, troopers said.
It happened on the 100 block of Carl Garner Road in Newport at about 11:30. Police say that's when Edward Lupton, 93, crashed into the flea market and drove all the way through the building. Lupton hit two vending tables and a man inside the market, according to troopers. The man was sent to the hospital with a head injury. After exiting the flea market, Lupton's car hit a trailer, which then hit two additional cars, police said.
Lupton was also sent to the hospital but had no reported injuries. Troopers say the 93-year-old "blacked out" during the incident and did not recall hitting anyone in the flea mall.
Lupton has been charged with reckless driving.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal