ONSLOW COUNTY - False claims of babies lying in a field, an SUV stuck in mud, and a boyfriend allegedly assaulting an EMS worker marked the scene of a Saturday night vehicle accident in Onslow County.
A woman was driving south on Grants Creek Road, east of Jacksonville, about 9:15 p.m., troopers said.
The woman, who has not been identified, lost control, her vehicle rolled, and she was ejected.
She was not wearing a seat belt, troopers said.
The woman alerted responders that two babies had also been in the vehicle and were ejected as well, a claim that proved false as the babies were found safe elsewhere, troopers said.
The woman's boyfriend, Jerry Davis, arrived at the scene and allegedly assaulted an emergency worker.
Davis' mother said that Jerry was simply trying to get to his girlfriend.
"All he was trying to do at the scene was to check on his girlfriend to see if she was ok," T. Davis said in an email.
"[Responders] tried to hold him back from getting to her and he pushed them away from him in order to get to her," she said.
The crash victim was airlifted to a trauma center; her condition is unknown.
- Updated Big reward offered in local breaking and entering case
- Updated Scientists discover coin-sized night frogs in India
- Updated SpaceX aborts space station docking
- New Doctor says coyote followed him into work
- Divisive rhetoric from leaders like Trump, Duterte threatens human rights, Amnesty says