FORT BRAGG - Fort Bragg officials say a construction worker was killed when a trench fell in on him as he was installing pipes.
Spokesman Adam Luther said the unidentified man was in a trench near the Ammunition Supply Point near the Pope Army Air Field side of the post on Thursday.
Luther said the worker was trying to connect two pieces of pipe when the roughly 15-foot trench gave way. He said it appears a large piece of dirt fell in, causing the walls of the trench to collapse.
Officials say the man is completely covered. It's not known how long it will take to remove him from the trench. Another person was working at the site at the time of the accident, but there was no word on that person's condition.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday