A tree fell on top of a grandfather, pinning him down and seriously injuring him.
According to neighbors, the man, identified as Lee Price, was chopping down the tree that fell on a mobile home, when the tree came down on top of him. The incident happened on Reba Drive in Greenville, at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.
"One of the heaviest parts of the tree stump fell and knocked him off the ladder and pinned him on the ground," said Capt. John Maynard, with the Red Oak Fire Department.
Neighbors said Price, in his 70's, didn't live in the neighborhood, and was visiting his grandson when the accident happened.
According to emergency workers, the tree fell on the man's hips, and he was unresponsive when crews arrived. He was listed in critical condition Tuesday evening at a hospital.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County