WASHINGTON, BEAUFORT COUNTY - National Weather Service surveyors say the tornado that went through Whichards Beach in Beaufort County Saturday night could be the first EF-3 of the year nationwide.
2014 has had the lowest tornado count to date of the past 60 years. Recently, the nation has been enjoying EF-3 free weather for more than 150 days. This is the fourth longest time on record the nation has ever gone without an EF-3 or stronger tornado.
That streak too will end because of the Whichards Beach tornado. The National Weather Service will continue to release more information as it is made available.
NewsChannel12 obtained aerial video of the tornado's path from Tideland EMC Walter O'Neal.
- Updated Tornado watch continues for most of Eastern NC
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal