WOODLAND, N.C. - A volunteer fire department of a tiny North Carolina town has a new shiny red fire truck - purchased for $1.
The Woodland Volunteer Fire Department serves the community of 800 and was close to retiring one of its three fire trucks because it often overheated.
A former Woodland firefighter tipped the department off that the Wake Forest Fire Department was looking to give an extra engine to fellow firefighters in need. He spotted the $1 Fire Engine in an online ad.
Woodland completed the purchase of its "new" 1989 Simon Duplex fire engine late last month and it is already fighting fires in northeastern North Carolina.
The volunteer firefighters invited their Wake Forest companions to their annual Shrimp Feast.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating