KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - Two Lenoir County men were arrested after a vehicle crash and were then charged with possession of stolen goods.
Joshua Carter, 27, and Hakeem Sheppard, 29, both of Kinston, were charged on several counts, including conspiracy to commit larceny, felony larceny and felony possession of stolen goods.
Both were taken to the Lenoir County Detention Center.
Deputies had already been investigating the two suspects.
Officials had responded to Grifton Hugo Road on Saturday in reference to reports of stolen scrap metal.
Deputies and detectives discovered they had arrived on scene before Carter and Sheppard had actually broken any laws, but deputies learned the two suspects had participated in previous thefts.
Because no crimes had been committed at that time, the detective on scene had to confirm the information and could not arrest them.
On Sunday, deputies responded to a vehicle crash on Sharon Church Road. Deputies found the two suspects in the vehicle attempting to flee. Their vehicle was pulling a stolen trailer and forklift when it crashed.
Because the two suspects had committed a crime this time, both Carter and Sheppard were arrested at the scene.
Further charges are pending for both suspects.
- Updated Grandson charged with beating grandfather to death
- Updated Have you heard of an outdoor preschool? There's now one in ENC.
- Updated OPEC agrees to cut production; oil prices surge
- Updated Eric Trump praises dad's 'courage' in not bringing up Bill Clinton's infidelities
- Updated Michelle Obama goes off on Donald Trump