NEW BERN - Police are investigating the reported armed robbery of four teens at a New Bern playground.
It happened shortly after 1 a.m. Thursday at Kidsville, a playground area on Pinetree Drive, according to police.
Two boys and two girls, all approximately 18 years old, were at the playground.
The group told police that a robber with a shotgun came up to them, and Sean Lee, 17, and Anthony Parson, 16, fought with the robber.
Two more people joined the original robber, took out another gun, and subdued the pair, the teens said. Lee was taken to a hospital with head injuries.
"I was hit over, and over, and over again," Lee said.
He was later released from the hospital.
No one else was hurt.
The robbers left the playground, taking items including an i-Pod and cell phones, the teens, who are all from the New Bern area, said.
The teens described the robbers as male teens or men, all wearing bandanas to cover their face.
The teens said it's common for them to spend time, even late at night, at the playground during the summer. They swing on the swings, listen to an i-Pod, and just "hang out."
Asked if it's a good idea for teens to be out so late, one of their parents said the teens are nearly adults, are "good kids," and deserve their freedom.
The investigation into the incident is ongoing.
- Michelle Obama fires up North Carolina crowd for Hillary Clinton
- Updated Wildlife sanctuary searches for owl lost duirng Hurricane Matthew
- Updated Dems can't get enough of FLOTUS -- and Clinton knows it
- Updated Haley 'not a fan' but will vote for Trump
- Updated Trump in 2011: Hillary Clinton 'did probably as much as anybody' for the black community