N. TOPSAIL BEACH, ONSLOW COUNTY - The wife of one of two men found dead at North Topsail Beach over the summer faced a judge Wednesday on a murder charge.
Bekka Shellhammer, 19, of Sneads Ferry, was issued a $1 million bond Wednesday morning. Her next court date is schedule for Oct. 9.
Shellhammer, who was arrested at about 2 p.m. Tuesday, is accused of killing 31-year-old Christopher Stewart, of Sneads Ferry. Stewart was found dead at North Topsail Beach, between Ocean Drive and the Village of Stump Sound, on the night of July 25. Also found dead at the location was Shellhammer's husband, 31-year-old Robert Clinton Shellhammer IV, investigators said.
Shellhammer is not accused of murdering her husband, although deputies have not said who killed him.
But investigators did say both men had several stab wounds. According to the medical examiner, the victims died from blood loss caused from an "incised wound to [the] neck."
Authorities had previously said the two men may have been involved in a dispute, although the nature of that dispute was unknown. Investigators also told Stewart's family that the two mens' meeting was not random.
Both men worked in the carpentry business, according to their death certificate.
Onslow County deputies and North Topsail Beach Police are working together on this case.
- Updated Christian bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' lose discrimination appeal
- Updated Parent punches student in the stomach in a school hallway, then just walks away
- Singer Kellie Pickler's father arrested in eastern N.C.
- Spidey-strength: Aussie arachnid carts off mouse-sized snack
- Battle for Mosul: How ISIS is fighting to keep its Iraqi stronghold