CRAVEN COUNTY - A teen who made two bomb threats against Havelock High School has pleaded guilty.
District Attorney Scott Thomas announced Friday that 18-year-old Frederick Thomas pleaded guilty this week to two felony counts of making false reports of a bombing to a public building.
On Jan. 7 and 9, Thomas called Havelock High School and threatened that there was a bomb on campus, police said. Students were preparing for exams but had to be evacuated into the cold weather both times.
Law enforcement and explosive-trained dogs went to the campus, but they did not find any explosive device.
A judge sentenced Thomas to between six to 17 months in prison, the district attorney said. But because of Thoma's previously clean record and the fact that he had already spent 75 days in the Craven County Jail leading up to his guilty plea, the judge suspended the sentence and ordered Thomas to two-and-a-half years of supervised probation.
In addition, Thomas must perform 40 hours of community service and pay a $1,000 fine.
The judge also banned Thomas from any property owned by Craven County Public Schools, according to the district attorney. But Thomas must still obtain his GED, as a condition of his probation.
If Thomas violates his probation, the suspended sentence may become reactivated, said the district attorney.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew