CHOCOWINITY - A 14-year-old was injured in a single-car wreck Tuesday evening when he took a Pontiac for a joy ride, police said.
The wreck happened in the Elk's Mobile Home Park on Sams Road. Capt. Toby Cole with the Chocowinity Volunteer Fire Department said the teenager was driving too fast.
"He came around the curve there and lost control then hit the utility box," Cole said.
The impact was strong enough to deploy the vehicle's airbags, interrupt the area's cable service and injure the teenager. His name has not been released.
The teenager was taken to the Vidant Beaufort Hospital after hurting his leg in the wreck.
- Updated Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- Updated Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- UPDATE: No bomb discovered after threat made at West Craven Middle School
- Updated Tornado touches down in Sampson Co., warnings issued elsewhere
- Wood Ducks featured on Xfinity car for Charlotte race