CRAVEN COUNTY - A mom who found a syringe near a playground called authorities for help.
The discovery happened shortly after 8 p.m. Sunday at Creekside Park, outside New Bern.
"I could pick it up, I guess," the unidentified woman told a dispatcher.
"I wouldn't advise that," the dispatcher replied.
"I'll send a deputy," the dispatcher said.
The mother was at the park with her son.
"Diabetics don't do things like this," the mother said of the abandoned syringe she found steps from a playground.
The discovery was made in the back parking lot of the 111-acre park.
Creekside is home to several Craven County sports leagues, including the New Bern Area Soccer Association, New Bern Sunday school baseball, and special needs baseball.
- Updated Can Tokyo avoid the curse of the Olympics?
- Updated Trump: 'There could certainly be a softening' on immigration stance
- After gay couple's home is vandalized, a community rallies
- Potential Solar Farm stirring up controversy in Jones County
- Onslow County teachers participate in MindUP training