State officials have issued a swim advisory because of high levels of bacteria near Bogue Inlet.
The alert affects water one mile south of Bogue Inlet near Bear Island in Swansboro.
The sample contained high levels of a bacteria that is found in the intestines of warm blooded animals.
State investigators say the bacteria does not cause illness but may indicate the presence of other disease-causing organisms.
- Updated Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of two nuns in Mississippi
- Two kayakers bound for Scotland, looking to make history
- Associated Press botches Hillary Clinton report and response