State officials have issued a swim advisory because of high levels of bacteria near Bogue Inlet.
The alert affects water one mile south of Bogue Inlet near Bear Island in Swansboro.
The sample contained high levels of a bacteria that is found in the intestines of warm blooded animals.
State investigators say the bacteria does not cause illness but may indicate the presence of other disease-causing organisms.
- Updated Tornado watch continues for most of Eastern NC
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal