State officials have issued a swim advisory because of high levels of bacteria near Bogue Inlet.
The alert affects water one mile south of Bogue Inlet near Bear Island in Swansboro.
The sample contained high levels of a bacteria that is found in the intestines of warm blooded animals.
State investigators say the bacteria does not cause illness but may indicate the presence of other disease-causing organisms.
- Updated Muslim woman to appear in Playboy in a hijab
- Updated Why you should be careful searching for Amy Schumer
- Updated Martin Shkreli auctions punch to the face
- New Tropical Storm Matthew forms in the Caribbean could have impacts to Eastern North Carolina
- Updated 'Cat man' of Aleppo takes in hundreds of abandoned cats