Suspect in Navy Yard massacre once worked at local base
The suspect who allegedly gunned down 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard once worked at MCAS Cherry Point.
According to The Washington Post, 34-year-old Aaron Alexis was working with The Experts, a Florida-based company that contracts with the U.S. military. The company told The Post that Alexis had been updating and replacing computers at six bases since July, including Cherry Point in Havelock and various installations in Virginia.
The Post reports that Alexis had worked for several days before Monday morning's shooting at the Navy Yard. According to D.C. Police, Alexis killed 12 people, including a Fayetteville native (left), when he opened fire inside Building 197. Alexis was later killed by officers.
"To my knowledge, there is no explanation for the violence that occurred," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.
Thomas Hoshko, the CEO of The Experts, said Alexis had "no personnel issues" he was aware of. Hoshko also said a background check of the suspect as recently as July revealed no criminal history.
According to records, Alexis was arrested in connection with shootings in 2004 and 2010 in Texas and Seattle, but was never charged.
Copyright 2012 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.