DOVER, DELAWARE - Police have arrested a man who allegedly shot his sister, her 1-year-old son, and a teen in Martin County in late January.
Taylor Sherrod Everett, 18, of West Main St. in Williamston, was arrested in Dover, Delaware on March 28. The suspect's sister and victim of the shooting, 27-year-old Charisma Smith, was harboring him at her Dover home, investigators said.
According to Williamston Police, Everett shot Smith and her 1-year-old son, Thomas, on Jan. 29, as the mother was carrying her child down North Martin Luther King Jr. Drive in Williamston.
"[Thomas] was shot between the fingers, and [Charisma] was shot in the chest," said Thomas Godard, the child's grandfather. "I just don't know what this little town is coming to."
The toddler was treated and released from a hospital, police said.
Another person, 17-year-old Treante Howard, was also shot that night. His condition was not released.
Godard said he believed Howard was the target; Charisma and her son were simply caught in the violence.
Everett is being held without bond by the Dover Police Department pending extradition back to North Carolina, where he faces three counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.
Charisma Smith and Roshanda Smith were also arrested and charged with felony hindering prosecution, for allegedly harboring the suspect.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte