WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court says legally married same-sex couples should get the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples.
The court invalidated a provision of the federal Defense of Marriage Act Wednesday that has prevented married gay couples from receiving a range of tax, health and retirement benefits that are generally available to married people. The vote was 5-4.
- Updated How Syrian activists use WhatsApp to tell the world their stories
- Investigators: MH17 shot down by Buk missile brought in from Russia
- Billionaire: Chinese real estate is 'biggest bubble in history'
- Controversial 3-parent baby technique produces a boy
- Government workers banned from entering NC due to House Bill 2