JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - The Marine Corp Scholarship Foundation (MCSF) hosted its 2013 scholarship award ceremony at Camp Lejeune.
More than 50 students attended the event at the Marston Pavilion Friday night. During the ceremony, the MCSF announced it has awarded $6.5 million to more than 2,000 Marine children. North Carolina has the highest number of scholarship recipients, said Jeanna Adams, the assistant director of scholarship programs.
Over the course of 51 years, the MCSF has given more than $80 million to 30,000 students, according to Adams.
Catalina Cortis, a scholarship recipient and speaker at Friday's ceremony, expressed her gratitude.
"All of us have been supporting our parents and the MCSF recognizes all of that. And it is an honor to be a part of that," Cortis said.
This year, several companies showed their support at the event, including Hewlett-Packard. HP gave away nine Slate 7 tablets to several recipients through drawings at the ceremony. Companies like Rock Creek Capital were also present.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Updated Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew