SALISBURY, ROWAN COUNTY - Police in Salisbury say a student was shot and wounded at a local high school.
The Salisbury Post reports Chief Rory Collins identified the student only as a male freshman who also played a sport at Salisbury High School.
Collins said the shooting occurred around 3 p.m. in the gym after classes were dismissed for the day. He said the shooting is believed to be related to an altercation that happened over the weekend.
Rowan County Emergency Services Director Frank Thomason said the victim apparently was transported to Novant Health Rowan Medical Center in a private car.
Salisbury High and nearby Livingstone College were placed on lockdown this afternoon. Staff were told to lock their doors and stay inside. Collins said the lockdowns have been lifted.
- Updated Verizon cuts Yahoo deal price by $350 million
- Updated Crowdfunding site helps make adoptions possible
- Updated Bodies of more than 70 migrants wash up on Libya's coast
- Updated Residents evacuate after levee breach in California
- Updated Acupuncture shows promise in migraine treatment, study says