NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - It was eastern North Carolina's first real glimpse of winter.
Snow flake after snow flake, pictures came into our newsroom from all over the region Tuesday night.
While the snow may look pretty, it's the falling temperatures that have officials worried about chimney fires.
So before you light that first match, there are a few things to remember
"We strongly recommend you to make sure your chimneys are inspected by someone who is certified to check it, sweep it, make sure you don't have holes in your chimney or your flue" Said Ira Whitford, Assistant Emergency Services Director.
It's also a good idea to blow off your roof, making sure there are no debris that could catch fire with sparks coming out.
Officials are also warning about the dangers of propane heaters.
According to fire officials, you should never use a propane heater indoors or an enclosed space.
Also, have a smoke detector along with a carbon monoxide detector in your house.
- LIVE FBI reviewing new emails in Clinton classified information probe
- Updated Duplin County man arrested for drugs, guns and explosives
- Updated Viewer captures photos, video of manatees in Pine Knoll Shores
- Updated Bill Cosby is legally blind, according to defense attorneys
- Updated Stocks sink on Clinton email probe bombshell