APEX, N.C. (AP) — Authorities in Wake County say one person is dead after the crash of a small plane near an airport in Apex.
The Federal Aviation Administration says in a statement that the Pitts S2E aircraft crashed near Cox Airport on Wednesday. The statement said the pilot was the only one onboard, and the identity of the pilot hasn't been released.
Local media outlets report the plane hit some trees as it attempted to land at the airport.
The FAA is investigating, and said the National Transportation Safety Board is in charge of the investigation and will determine the cause of the crash.
- Poll: Many don't want to talk politics this Thanksgiving
- USO of Jacksonville gets enough donations just in time for Thanksgiving
- Beulaville family struggles with company about fixing heating system
- Girl Scouts say don't make your daughter hug people this holiday
- Havelock's Boys & Girls Club getting holiday makeover